THE ENGLISH INN DOOR COUNTY : INN DOOR COUNTY


THE ENGLISH INN DOOR COUNTY : HOTEL MIRAMARE TAORMINA



The English Inn Door County





the english inn door county






    door county
  • Door County is a county in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. As of 2000, the population was 27,961. Its county seat is Sturgeon Bay. Door County is a popular vacation and tourist destination, especially for residents of eastern Wisconsin, Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and northern Illinois.





    english
  • Of or relating to England or its people or language

  • an Indo-European language belonging to the West Germanic branch; the official language of Britain and the United States and most of the commonwealth countries

  • of or relating to or characteristic of England or its culture or people; "English history"; "the English landed aristocracy"; "English literature"

  • the people of England





    inn
  • An establishment providing accommodations, food, and drink, esp. for travelers

  • A restaurant or bar, typically one in the country, in some cases providing accommodations

  • Inns are generally establishments or buildings where travelers can seek lodging and, usually, food and drink. They are typically located in the country or along a highway.

  • hostel: a hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers

  • Indium nitride is a small bandgap semiconductor material which has potential application in solar cells and high speed electronics.











Lisbon Hotel (Drover's Inn)




Lisbon Hotel (Drover's Inn)





On the National Road, in Lisbon, Howard County, Maryland.

The Maryland Historic Trust Historic Sites Survey says the following:

The old Lisbon Hotel faces south on the north east corner of Route 144 and Wodbine Road. It is located on some four 1/4 acre lots, which now comprise .88? acres of ground. It is a three bay wide, two story high, gabled roof (running east-west) brick (laid in Flemish bond and English garden wall brick bond) house with central, rectangular, open bible and cross paneled door, surmounted by a four light transom, flanked by two rectangular shuttered windows.

Fenestration is rectangular, double-hung, vertically aligned and proportionally scaled, decorated with splayed brick, flat arched lintels. A very early two story high, two bay wide frame addition extends eastward from the east wall of the brick house. Its gabled roof (running east-west) is an extension of the brick structure's gabled roof. Along the entire five bay wide south facade of the brick house and its extension runs a two story high shed roofed open porch supported by six square posts with a wooden railing running around the perimeter of its second floor. The original second floor east bay window of the brick house was altered to hold a rectangular entrance on to the porch. An additional first floor entrance on this wall is located in the east bay of the frame addition.

The east elevation of the Lisbon Hotel's frame addition holds two first and second floor rectangular windows and two almost square attic windows. An open bible and cross paneled first floor entrance, located in the north bay, is surmounted by a three light transom. The gabled roof slopes downward on the north elevation to create a salt box effect.

An old wooden one and a half story high, two bay deep, gabled roof house (running north-south) is attached to the north wall of the brick house's west side by a two story high, one bay wide, one bay deep, shed roofed, brick connector. The connector's west wall holds a rectangular first floor entrance, decorated with a stretcher brick, flat arched lintel, which at one time was surmounted by a gabled roof portico, the outlines of which can be seen over the entrance, which has a brick stoop with north and south steps. A second floor, rectangular window rests north of the entrance.

The old frame building, reputed to be the oldest building in Lisbon, features a semi-octagonal first floor bay window crowned by a semi-conical roof on its west wall, a square brick chimney centered into its north wall, and a second tall brick chimney rising from the center of its east wall's gable roof.

The condition of the building is in a deteriorated state with the old frame structure on the north very close to ruins and its gabled roof already caved in. One of the most significant buildings historically. (Please see significance statement), it is hoped that the building will be renovated and restored by its owner or sold to someone who will appreciate its heritage.


8. SIGNIFICANCE

SPECIFIC DATES Circa 1804-05

The Old Lisbon Hotel is significant historically and architecturally.

Architecturally, it is noteworthy as one of five brick houses in the town of Lisbon, which was constructed in the early nineteenth century and with the development of the Baltimore-Frederick Turnpike became a rather grand hotel with its frame addition and two Story high front porch in the 1860's.

The stylistic detail of the old brick house is simple and straight forward, featuring a central, rectangular entrance, proportionally scaled and vertically aligned fenestration and apertures decorated with stretcher brick, flat arched lintels.

The brick building is connected to an older frame building on the north by a two story high hyphen with rectangular west entrance once covered by a gabled roof portico.

Historically this old frame building connected to the brick house is most significant, reputed to be the oldest dwelling in Lisbon, constructed by Caleb Pancoast, circa 1804-1805. It is Caleb Pancoast who laid out Lisbon in 1/4 acre lots, the first to conceptualize in his mind the village at Lisbon. This one story high frame house is presently in a shambles with its gabled roof almost totally deteriorated. It is not beyond the thought of restoration but is in need of immediate attention.

The brick section of the house facing south on Route 144 is significant historically as well as architecturally for with the advent of the railroad, Lisbon became a popular summer resort for a time and this once private home became the Lisbon Hotel, noted on the 1860 Martenet Map.

Not only is the old Lisbon Hotel historically and architecturally noteworthy but it is significant in the area of religion.

Caleb Pancoast was evidently a man of integrity and religious convictions, ecumenical in character, for upon the completion of his home, he invited the area residents to meet there for religious services of their choice until another church or mee











Lisbon Hotel (Drover's Inn)




Lisbon Hotel (Drover's Inn)





On the National Road, in Lisbon, Howard County, Maryland.

The Maryland Historic Trust Historic Sites Survey says the following:

1. NAME

HISTORIC
Lisbon Hotel, Drovers Inn
AND/OR COMMON


2. LOCATION

STREET & NUMBER
Northeast corner of Frederick Road (MD 144) & Madison Street (formerly MD 94)
CITY, TOWN CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT
Lisbon VICINITY OF 6th
STATE COUNTY
Maryland Howard


7. DESCRIPTION

The old Lisbon Hotel faces south on the north east corner of Route 144
and Woodbine Road. It is located on some four 1/4 acre lots, which now
comprise .88? acres of ground. It is a three bay wide, two story high,
gabled roof (running east-west) brick (laid in Flemish bond and English
garden wall brick bond) house with central, rectangular, open bible and
cross paneled door, surmounted by a four light transom, flanked by two
rectangular shuttered windows.

Fenestration is rectangular, double-hung, vertically aligned and propor-
tionally scaled, decorated with splayed brick, flat arched lintels. A
very early two story high, two bay wide frame addition extends eastward
from the east wall of the brick house. Its gabled roof (running east-
west) is an extension of the brick structure's gabled roof. Along the
entire five bay wide south facade of the brick house and its extension
runs a two story high shed roofed open porch supported by six square
posts with a wooden railing running around the perimeter of its second
floor. The original second floor east bay window of the brick house
was altered to hold a rectangular entrance on to the porch. An addition-
al first floor entrance on this wall is located in the east bay of the
frame addition.

The east elevation of the Lisbon Hotel's frame addition holds two first
and second floor rectangular windows and two almost square attic windows.
An open bible and cross paneled first floor entrance, located in the
north bay, is surmounted by a three light transom. The gabled roof
slopes downward on the north elevation to create a salt box effect.

An old wooden one and a half story high, two bay deep, gabled roof house
(running north-south) is attached to the north wall of the brick house's
west side by a two story high, one bay wide, one bay deep, shed roofed,
brick connector. The connector's west wall holds a rectangular first
floor entrance, decorated with a stretcher brick, flat arched lintel,
which at one time was surmounted by a gabled roof portico, the outlines
of which can be seen over the entrance, which has a brick stoop with
north and south steps. A second floor, rectangular window rests north
of the entrance.

The old frame building, reputed to be the oldest building in Lisbon,
features a semi-octagonal first floor bay window crowned by a semi-con-
ical roof on its west wall, a square brick chimney centered into its
north wall, and a second tall brick chimney rising from the center
of its east wall's gable roof.

The condition of the building is in a deteriorated state with the old
frame structure on the north very close to ruins and its gabled roof
already caved in. One of the most significant buildings historically.
(Please see significance statement), it is hoped that the building will
be renovated and restored by its owner or sold to someone who will
appreciate its heritage.


8. SIGNIFICANCE

SPECIFIC DATES Circa 1804-05

The Old Lisbon Hotel is significant historically and architecturally.

Architecturally, it is noteworthy as one of five brick houses in the town of
Lisbon, which was constructed in the early nineteenth century and with the
development of the Baltimore-Frederick Turnpike became a rather grand hotel
with its frame addition and two Story high front porch in the 1860's.

The stylistic detail of the old brick house is simple and straight forward,
featuring a central, rectangular entrance, proportionally scaled and vertically
aligned fenestration and apertures decorated with stretcher brick, flat
arched lintels.

The brick building is connected to an older frame building on the north by a
two story high hyphen with rectangular west entrance once covered by a gabled
roof portico.

Historically this old frame building connected to the brick house is most significant,
reputed to be the oldest dwelling in Lisbon, constructed by Caleb Pancoast, circa
1804-1805. It is Caleb Pancoast who laid out Lisbon in 1/4 acre lots, the first to
conceptualize in his mind the village at Lisbon. This one story high frame house
is presently in a shambles with its gabled roof almost totally deteriorated. It is
not beyond the thought of restoration but is in need of immedi









the english inn door county







Similar posts:

inn at healdsburg

river country inn

victorian charm inn

m plaza hotel

north coast accommodation

hotel festival san remo

central hotel vienna

hotel riu caribe



tag : the english inn door county hotel myosotis lourdes small luxury

Comments

Secret

Comment is pending approval.

Comment is pending administrator's approval.